Friday 20 September 2013

Jungle Path quilt using a Layer Cake


Some of my besties in Australia went and had a baby. I love it when that happens, but was so sad I couldn't be there with them. Guess what I decided to make them? Aye, no prizes for that one... I made them a quilt.

I loved this Jungle Path baby quilt designed by Jessica Kelly. The fabric is Moda's Jungle Bungle by Tim and Beck. It's a great tutorial by Jess, and I was pretty keen to make one for my pals' baby.

Problem? I'm on a tight, tight budget!  A jellyroll and a charm pack were going to set me back a few quid. I mean, my friends are worth it- but with wadding and postage... I needed an inexpensive way of making the same quilt. I decided a layer cake would offer me better value for money. I bought a layer cake- that's 42 x 10 inch squares, for just under £26 all in. That's 62 pence per square! Bargain!

So here's my offering to the quilting world: an easy way to recreate Jessica's Jungle Path quilt using a Layer Cake. Please excuse my low-fi drawing below. I chopped up the each 10 inch square like this:
This gave me a 4 inch square for the block centres, and the remaining fabric in each layer can be cut into the strips needed. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of doing this- but I wanted to share my discovery.

For the backing, I went for a rummage in the sale bolts at Mandors Edinburgh, and got a lovely colourful piece of fabric (it had bumble bees and rainbows on it).

To quilt I used a squiggly free motion embroidery stiple, I love the texture it gives, though it does take a wee while.

I was well chuffed with the result!


Luckily, I now have HEAPS of leftover fabric- 26 x 10 inch squares left over in fact, enough to make a bigger quilt for my son (I really love the colours and the design!). So using a layer cake is not a bad way to get such a variety of fabric on a budget. I'll be working on it for the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment